All the viruses that attack the computer system do not act in the same way; there are certain unique patterns that one follows in their contagious activity. There are numerous types of viruses that have come into existence that hits the security system of the computers. Behavior of the computer virus is troublesome as they delete or corrupt the data that are available in storage at the hard drive or interrupts the normal functionality of the operating system.
The catching bug gets downloaded from the external sources such as internet connectivity through hidden files together with downloads; email attachments, instant messaging services and via external drives that are used to carry data.
Computer virus protection desires antivirus software to get periodically updated on advanced level antivirus tools and latest virus information that are about to affect the PCs.
Some of the types of computer virus that affects the PCs in common are as follows.
- Resident viruses: They inhabit in the RAM interrupting into the operations of the system such as corrupting the data in the files that are used in the recent activities. Some of other resident viruses include the McKlunky, CMJ, Randex etc.
- Companion Virus: These types of viruses are typically spread into the MS-DOS creating a file with extension of .Com or .Exd, which is called defectively when a programmer runs his program with a similar alphabet of file name with either of these extensions.
- Network Viruses: This virus spreads via the LAN connectivity as the network is used as a medium to spread through shared resources. It spreads along the PCs that are connected along jumping from one system to another to find a new potential prey. Nimda and SQLSlammer are the dangerous network viruses.
- Polymorphic Viruses: This type of virus replicates by creating multiple copies of the file spreading along the computers linked. Every time the replication is done it changes the digital signature, this activity makes the virus easier to spread from one system to another. Only sophisticated and updated antivirus can detect the Polymorphic virus.
- Trojan horse: These types of computer viruses are more harmful that makes its establishment into the system and starts the viral activity. They neither copy nor replicate but strike hard on the security system. The malicious functionality of the Trojan is tougher to get out of the PCs once acquired, as they are acquired from any program on downloads.
There are various kinds of viruses that play the role of computer cracking behind the screen, which is being used as a tool to hack and destroy the data that are available on a security link of an organization.
image source : http://hugepedia.com
A boot sector virus is a virus that places its own codes and commands into a computer’s DOS boot sector or Master Boot Record (MBR). When a boot sector virus has infected a system, the MBR is usually corrupted and a computer’s boot sequence is changed. Since the MBR is located on the first sector of a computer’s hard disk, the virus is called a boot sector virus.
Boot sector viruses can be dangerous and prolific because they are loaded onto a computer every time one starts up. In time, they can spread to other readable disks. Booting problems and start up problems, problems with retrieving data, computer performance instability and the inability to locate hard drives are all issues that may arise due to a boot sector virus infection.
Fortunately, boot sector virus removal is easy. Using common antivirus software can remove the virus quickly and efficiently. However, it is important to find an antivirus software that is capable of removing the virus completely. Failing to do so can result in a partial removal, which can then lead to a different part of a hard drive being effected. Investing in an antivirus software can also help protect data and files during the removal process.
I would recommend that first you remove the hard drive and connect it to another computer and run a low level format. If that doesn’t help then proceed with the following.
1. Remove any important files and shut down the infected computer. You can not begin to remove the virus if it is in the RAM in your computer.
2. Get the instructions and the utility to flash your BIOS from your manufacturers website.
3. Flash your BIOS with the utility provided by the manufacturer. DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER UNTIL THE UTILITY TELLS YOU THAT YOU CAN. DOING SO BEFORE IT IS FINISHED MAY PERMANENTLY DAMAGE YOUR COMPUTER.
4. Find out which company manufactures your HDD and see if they have a utility that will do a Low-Level format. This part is important because it deletes everything from your hard drive so that no one can get it back, including the virus.
5. Run the formatting utility provided by your HDD manufacturer.
6. Reinstall your Operating System of choice however you want to.
Lately my internet explorer on my desktop had been effected by sujin.com.np and every time i opened up internet explorer it opened up the sujin.com.np webpage. Many tries to fix it failed and ultimately i went to google…. and yes the god of search does come to rescue in times of need.
After searching for a few minutes i found few java scripts and some scanning and removal programs that claimed to work. I am listing two of these which worked.
Scanner and remover here
Java script to remove it here
download vb6 runtime here