Apple’s next iPhone Rumours
It’s unclear what role curved glass would play on an iPhone, though it’s worth noting that the previous-generation iPod Nano used curved glass for its display. Also, MacRumors chief Arnold Kim points out that Samsung’s Nexus S uses a convex curved screen, to improve comfort and perceived usability.
In addition to today’s report about a curved display, publications have claimed the following about the iPhone 5:
- The handset will debut in September, perhaps during Apple’s annual iPod event.
- The iPhone 5 will have a flat metal back, instead of the glass on the current iPhone.
- There’s been some debate about near-field communications technology debuting in the next iPhone, to enable wireless payments with the device at stores. However, we’re skeptical because it would first require merchants to be on board with NFC readers.
- Likely “under-the-hood” changes include the faster A5 processor currently powering the iPad 2, as well as an 8-megapixel camera sensor designed by Sony.
- The iPhone 5 will become available on T-Mobile and Sprint, according to some analysts.
Apple does not comment on rumors or speculation.